Spain is a European country located in Southwestern Europe. This country is considered as one of the developed countries in the world. Known for its amazing ancient sites, Spain is also a famous tourist spot. Once the Spanish Empire ruled many parts of the world and considered as one of the oldest empires in human history.
Know more about : Interesting facts about Senegal
|Area||505990 square kilometer|
|HDI||0.893 (very high)|
|National Anthem||Marcha Real|
|Religion (largest)||Catholic Christianity|
|Popular Bird||Iberian imperial eagle|
|National Flower||Red carnation|
1. The famous tomato festival La Tomatina is held every year in Valencia county of Bunol town in Spain. It is has been held last Wednesday of August since 1945.
2. Though we may call it Spain but the official name of the country is the Kingdom of Spain.
3. Spain is the largest country in Southern Europe, by area wise it is the fourth largest country in Europe and the second-largest country in Western Europe as well as in the European Union.
4. By population-wise Spain is the sixth most populous country in Europe and the fourth most populous in the European Union.
5. Around 35000 years ago modern humans believed to have arrived in mainland Spain.
6. One of the largest empires in human history is the Hispanic Monarchy also known as the Spanish Empire. Hispanic Monarchy is also counted as one of the first global empires.
7. Kingdom of Spain hosts a total of 48 UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This number is the third most UNESCO site after China’s 55 sites and Italy’s 55 world heritage sites.
8. Spain is considered as a secular parliamentary country with a parliamentary monarchy. King Felipe VI is the head of the state.
9. Being a developed and high-income country, Spain is the 14th largest economy by nominal GDP and the 16th largest country by Purchasing Power Parity (PPP).
10. Spanish National anthem “Marcha granadera” originally has no words. It was composed in the mid 18th century as a military march and was not intended to composed as a national anthem at that time.
11. Spanish rice is originally originated in Iran. In Mexico, it is called Arroz Rojo but surprisingly it is unknown in Spain.
12. By 2050 Spain will be the world’s oldest country in the world. Because more than 40% of the population will be over 60 years old.
13. In Spain, nudity is somehow allowed, wherein many beaches peoples are allowed to roam without swimsuits or bikinis.
14. Spanish military engineer and physicist Emilio Herrera Linares designed the first astronautical space suit in 1935.
15. In 1856 Spain gave the world’s first mop and bucket.
16. Worlds first stapler made for the rule of French King, Luis XV in the 18th century.
17. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the world’s oldest restaurant in the world in continuous operation is Sobrino de Botin. This restaurant was founded in 1725 and it was mentioned in Earnest Hemingway.
18. Spain and Portugal are connected by a Zipline which is built on 150 wide bridge and can be crossed within 60 seconds.
19. Children’s names cannot be Judas, Mandarina, or Cain. Because it is illegal in Spain as they are the name of the fruits.
20. In the Spanish city of Plama de Mallorca it is illegal to walk the streets downtown. If anyone dares to do so, then they will be slapped with a 600 Euro fine.
21. Worlds two most successful football club Real Madrid C.F and FC Barcelona are based in Spain.
Antonio Banderas (actor)
Penelope Cruz (Actress)
Paz Vega (Actress)
Favid Aja comics artist)
Ignacio Zuloaga (painter)
Lope de Auirre (explorer of Amazon river)
Juan Bermudez (explorer of Bermuda Islands)
Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo (explorer of California)
Alex de la Iglesia (film director)
Federico Garcia Lorca (poet)
Ricky Matin (singer, songwriter)
Enrique Iglesias (singer)
Pablo Picaso (painter)
Javier Bardem (actor)
Elsa Pataky (model)
Popular destinations for Tourists:
Santiago de Compostela
The Alhambra and Generalife Gardens, Granada
Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia and Gaudi sites
The Great Mosque of Cordoba
The Prado and Paseo del Artes (Madrid)
More Facts : Interesting facts about the Sun