Worlds one of the largest and longest working telescopes is Hubble Telescope. This space telescope working for nearly 20 years now without any interference of air or rain. At the time of its launch in 1990, it was the most advanced space telescope. In this topic, we will know some of the interesting facts about the Hubble space telescope (HST).
Know more facts – Little known facts about SpaceX
1. Hubble telescope was named after prominent space scientist Edwin Hubble. He gave a proper explanation of the Andromeda galaxy, black hole, and many more universal objects.
2. He was part of the team in Mount Wilson Observatory to observe the sky with Hooker Telescope. From 1917 to 1949 the Hooker Telescope was the most powerful telescope in the world.
3. The total weight of the telescope is 11110 kg(24490lbs). It has a dimension of 43.3ftX13.8ft and placed in the Lower Earth Orbit.
4. The total power consumption of the telescope is 2100 to 2800 watts.
5. There are two 25 foot large solar panels on both sides of the telescope. These two panels create 5500 watts power. Afterward, that power stored in six NIH batteries.
6. The physical maintenance part is controlled and managed by a ground station established in the Earth. That ground station is Gabbard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, U.S.A. There are 4 teams of engineers working twenty fours hours to keep the telescope run smoothly.
7. Space data and high-resolution pictures are stored and provided by Space Telescope Science Institute. This institute is built in Baltimore city inside the John Hopkins University Home wood Campus.
8. Hubble telescope orbits the Earth at a speed of 27300 km per hour. While orbiting it tilts 28.5 degrees.
9. To rotate the Earth Hubble Space Telescope takes 95 minutes.
10. There are two primary mirrors attached to the telescope. They are some of the main instruments attached to the Hubble Telescope.
11. The diameter of the primary mirror is 2.4 meters (94.5 inches) and weighs 1835 pounds(828 kg). And the second mirror’s diameter is 12 inches(0.3 meters) and weighs 12.3 kg(27.4 pounds).
12. The primary mirror is capable of catching 40000 times more lights than our eyes. In a simple meaning if a person while sitting in San Francisco, can see the light of an airplane during its landing in Washing D.C.
13. These two mirrors are so powerful that they can easily capture numerous Ultraviolet and infrared lights form million of light-year distance.
14. Since 1990 the Hubble Space telescope has sent 1.3 million different types of data to the earth station. And those data s were even printed in more than 15000 different science articles.
15. Hubble telescope sends 190 terabytes of data per year. Means 140 gigabytes of data per week. Based on that calculation it sending 150 terabytes of data s per year.
16. During its launching time, there was a minor error found in Hubble Scope’s primary mirror. Human hairs 1/50 error could have sent blur images. That’s why that error had been rectified by a servicing mission.
17. Telescopes first servicing was completed by mission called STS-61.
18. To date, there are four that type of servicing missions launched from the Earth – STS-61, STS-82, STS-103, STS-109, STS-125.
19. The last servicing was done in 2009 during the STS-125 mission. After that mission, it is sure that Hubble can survive till208 to 2040.
20. The first concept of the space telescope was initiated by an American astronomer Lyman Spitzer. He was the first person who mentioned the necessity of the space telescope. He wrote about this in his scientific paper “Astronomical Advantages of an Extraterrestrial Observatory”.
21. Under the Pointing Control System, there is Sine Guidance Sensors are capable of capturing a perfect picture form one mile distance without a single hair movement.
22. It was due to Hubble scientists came to the conclusion that the original age of our Universe is 14 billion years.
23. After deserving the famous “Hubble Ultra Deep Field” image astronauts were able to clear many confusions about galaxies.
24. Hubble Telescope also sends data about the neighboring planet’s atmospheric conditions.
25. James Webb Space Telescope will be the successor of Hubble Space Telescope. That is scheduled to launch in 2021. But Hubble will continue to work until 2028 or more.
26. The diameter of the primary mirror in James Web Space Telescope is 6.5 meters, which is more than the primary mirror of Hubble Space Telescope. The primary mirror of James Webb Space Telescope will have eighteen hexagonal gold plated Beryllium chemical element segments.
More facts – Random facts about space