Facebook is an American based online social media and social networking service. The headquarter of the company is in Menlo Park, San Mateo County, California. It was founded by an ex Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg in 2004. Except for China and a few more countries, Facebook has spread over more than 100 countries in the world with 2.50 billion users as of 2019. It has now become a part of our society while many businesses and corporate companies are fully or partially dependent on Facebook only. Thus it has a significant presence in the world community and has many interesting facts related to it.
Know more about – Information about Aryabhata Satellite
Some cool Facts about Facebook:
1. Initially, Mark Zuckerberg launched a website called “Facemash”. Mark built that site in 2003 to choose the hotter person among two-person faces.
2. Facebook was established in February 4, 2004. Mark Zuckerberg and his fellow Harvard student Eduardo Saverin invest $1000 each and launched a site named “The Facebook” under the domain of thefacebook.com.
3. In earlier stage, it was used among Harvard students only. And the memberships were restricted among university students. On that time it was used to share images and files among students.
4. Mark at first coded his website as “TheFacebook”. In 2005 “the” word was removed after purchasing the domain name “Facebook.com”.
5. Napster Co-founder Sean Parker was the first president of the company.
6. The major investor of the company was Peter Theil. Peter was Co-founder of Paypal, who did a major investment of $500000 in 2004. In August 2012 Theil sold his all stocks in the Facebook worth of 1 billion us dollar.
7. Computer scientist Julie Zhou was the first intern of the company. She became manager at the age of 25 and presentably working as vice president of product and design on Facebook.
8. When it was opened to all, Facebook fixed certain criteria for membership registration. The users must have 13 years old and with valid email account holders can open an account on Facebook.
9. The company surprisingly announced in 2008 that they were going to open their first international office n Dublin, Ireland.
10. By 2009 it has the highest number of monthly active users around the world.
11. And in 2010 it became the third-largest American web company after Amazon and Google.
12. The social media giant acquired one of the highest-priced domain in the history of America. In 2010 it announced their domain fb.com which was bought from American Farm Bureau Federation for 8.5 million us dollars.
13. People can block unwanted users in their account except for Mark Zuckerberg.
14. The company confirmed that it has recorded the web activities of users. The company accepted that they keep on eye to users when they logged in or out of any other accounts than Facebook.
15. Due to the difference between the Chinese government and Facebook, it has been banned in China since 2009. Currently, it is working on a censorship project, where the third party will allow to regulate posts and stories.
16. It has launched various apps for different platforms like – Android and iPhone.
17. Facebook lite for mobile users and Facebook messenger which was earlier known as Facebook chat. Messenger app can be used for voice calling, video calling, and file-sharing as well.
18. Zuckerberg is a red-green colorblind. That’s why the primary colour of the website was blue.
19. The “like” button was introduced in 2009, which looks like “thumps up”. During its development time that feature was “awesome” instead of “like”.
20. As of the first quarter of 2019, it has downed 2.2 billion fake accounts.
21. This social media platform has recorded 2.50 billion active users in 1029. Most of the users are from Indian and U.S.A.
22. Most of the international business community uses Facebook for the advertisement and service of their products. At present, there are more than 7 million active users on Facebook.
23. About 40% of the people accepted to have relied on Facebook news and more than 30 percent of internet users open Facebook more than once in a day.
24. Posts related to media get most views during Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday between 8 to 9 A.m.
Know more – Little known facts about SpaceX