Laos is a Southeast Asian country. The Mekong is the heart of Laos, where the capital city Vientiane is situated on the banks of the Mekong river. Southeast Asia’s only landlocked country Laos has many amazing facts. In the following points, those facts are mentioned.
Some more facts: Crazy facts about Tonga
|Area||237955 square kilometer|
|National Anthem||Pheng Xat Lao|
|Largest Religion||Theraveda Buddhism|
|National Holiday||January 1(New Years Day), January 20 (Armed Forces Day), March 8 (International Women’s Day), April 14 to 16 (Lao New Year), May 1 (Labour Day), December 2 (Lao National Day)|
|National Flower||Plumeria Alba|
|National Sports||Muay Lao|
|National Bird||Green peafowl|
1. Laos is famous for its Buddhist Stupas. One of them is a large gold-covered stupa Pha That Luang, that is situated in Vientiane. It is built during the 3rd century and was restored number times after facing destruction from the number of rulers. It is now considered as one of the important national monument and a national symbol.
2. Laos is the only landlocked country in Southeast Asia. The country is surrounded by Burma, Cambodia, China, Thailand, and Vietnam in the east and southeast region.
3. Nearly 70% of the country is made by river cuts and mountain ranges. With elevation 2819 m, Phou Bia is the highest mountain of Laos.
4. Worlds 12th and Asia’s 7th longest river Mekong has been passing through Laos. @3450 km along the Mekong is an important river in Laos. It is originated from Tibetan plateau and covered Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam. Mekong rivers drainage basin is in the South China Sea.
5. Two largest southeast Waterfalls, Khone falls and Phapheng falls are located in Champasak Province of Laos. Khone Phapheng falls are located on the Mekong river and for these falls Mekong is not properly navigable by china.
6. Capital city Vientiane is located on the bank of the Mekong river. Since 1563 this city was started to recognized as a capital city. During French rule, it was an important city and till now Vientiane is Laos’s main city.
7. Nearly 80% of the population is dependent on farming.
8. Laos famous drink is Beerlao. Apart from Laos, these drinks popular in Britain and Germany.
9. Between 1964 and 1973 during the Vietnam war, the number of bombs dropped in Laos was 2 million tons, which is equal to world war 2. Among those bombs, nearly 30% are unexploded and still can be found while farming or cultivation. Due to the huge number of shells, Laotians use them as decoration or planting purposes.
10. The name Laos was given by French. But in the Lao language, the country is called “Muang Lao”.
11. Laos is the largest consumer of sticky rice (Khao now).
12. “Nong Fa Lake” is popular among Laotians as a magical lake.
13. Handmade dress Sinh is a traditional dress of Laos. In Laos, people of different provinces can be easily identified by their dress code.
14. Thousands of Buddhist style caves can be found all around Laos.
15. Jungles of Laos are filled with venomous snakes like King Cobra, leopard, and Indian Elephants.
16. The oldest human fossils are found in a Laos cave Tam Paling cave. The 46000 years old jawbone proved that how old the Laotians are.
Cloe Dao(fashion designer)
Kaysone Phomvihane (leader)
Visay Phaphouvanin (Footballer)
Boun Oum (Politician)
Jerry Yang (Poker player)
Sisavang Vatthana (Monarch)
Bryan Thao Worra (Port and Author)
Nguyen Dinh Thi (Music composer)
Siluck Saysanasy (Actor)
Touby Lyfoung (Politician)
Si Phan Don Islands,
Bokeo Nature Reserve,
Tham Kong Lo,
More Facts: Facts about Mexico